To commemorate World Book Day 2022, retailer Bensons for Beds has compiled a list of the top ten bedtime stories in the UK that parents love to read to their children. The brand tapped into search data to uncover the most popular current stories for children in the UK, as well as top headlines encouraging toddlers to sleep well.
With more than 33,000 monthly searches online, “The Gruffalo” came in first, followed by “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” and “The Tiger Who Came for Tea” in second and third place respectively. Julia Donaldson is the most well-known children’s author, with five of her books ranked in the top ten.
Classic stories, such as “The Tale of Peter Rabbit” by Beatrix Potter, are still popular among children today. Dr. Seuss from Dr. Seuss Dr. Seuss from Dr. Seuss Dr. Seuss from Dr. Seuss
Most popular bedtime stories:
- Julia Donaldson’s Gruffalo
- Eric Carle’s Very Hungry Caterpillar
- The Tiger Who Came for Tea by Judith Kerr
- Zog and the Flying Doctors by Julia Donaldson
- The Highway Rat by Julia Donaldson
- Gruffalo’s Child by Julia Donaldson
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
- Dr. Seuss’ Cat in the Hat
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak